The primary purpose of the Surrey Heath Sports Council is to act as a voice for and offer support to the local sporting community. The Sports Council is made up of appointed members from across the broad spectrum of sport and physical activity, including representatives from the Borough Council, schools, clubs, leisure centres and the County Sports Partnership.
The Sports Council is an opportunity for its members to share information and best practice, but also acts as a grant awarding body to support local residents to reach their sporting goals. There are currently four categories for which grants of up to £250 are considered;
· Talented Athletes (county standard or above to support competition costs, travel etc.)
· Coach Education
· Club Awards (for new projects, such as kit for a new team)
· Those who find finance a barrier to participation.
Councillor Representative Role: one of the representatives will be by virtue of office – Places & Strategy Portfolio Holder. Meetings held quarterly at 7pm in Surrey Heath House.The responsibilities of Sports Council members are:
· To give a brief update on any notable developments within their club or sport;
· To assess grant applications along with other members, using their knowledge and expertise to help make sure that grants are awarded to those who most deserve them;
· To disseminate any relevant information from the Sports Council back to those within your club or sport where relevant following meetings.
Mr Ben Sword
Community Engagement Officer
Phone: 01276 7077272